Through the late 80s, 90s, and even with a 2010s resurgence via One Direction and others, boy bands have seemed to always be a prevalent part of both pop culture and 90 percent of the tweenage female population’s lives. Even if you didn’t grow up with NKOTB or weren’t pining for some crazy fad toy, you’d find from the #TBT selections of today that some of these songs are actually catchy as hell. Here are my Top 5:
5. “Kiss You” by One Direction – This post would be hard pressed to not include arguably one of the biggest musical acts of all time. While they are known much more for songs such as “What Makes You Beautiful” and “One Thing”, the bouncy feel of 1D’s verses on “Kiss You” make it my favorite song of theirs. Oh and the music video has 229 million views as of this writing. <<< The benefits of being adorable.
4. “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” by Backstreet Boys – You’re in Heaven and you can make anything appear by thinking of it. Jay Baruchel conjures up the Backstreet Boys. As you can tell by this video, Heaven really couldn’t get better afterwards. Additionally, making a single that’s pretty much only about coming back with another album after releasing your debut only 15 months prior is probably the most badass thing a boy band can do.
3. “It’s Gonna Be Me” by NSYNC – I almost lumped this one in with #1 because they seem so similarly structured, but I couldn’t because it’s really not better than #2, and because of the joke that catches me off guard every April 30th.
2. Larger Than Life by Backstreet Boys – I never owned HitClips, but if I would have this may have been the only one I needed. The fact that BSB gets that unforgettable hook into the song four times in four minutes is unreal, but it’s also exactly what you want from a boy band hit that you love so much but don’t even necessarily know all the words too. Let’s also not forget BSB was immortalized as Burger King toys back in the day, and they made the most pre-millenium music video possible for this song, locking them in as the most badass boy band of all time.
1. “Bye Bye Bye” by NSYNC – Unfortunately, being the most badass boy band doesn’t mean you had the best boy band song ever. “Bye Bye Bye” wins for three reasons: 1) Justin, 2) HitClips only played one-minute MP3s of songs, and that wouldn’t do this song justice (AKA this song is better than the chorus alone), and 3) The instrumental textures on “Bye Bye Bye” are the perfect addition to make this song sound at least somewhat different than all the other 90s boy band beats out there. My prepubescent self would say that this song was THE song thats put NSYNC on the map, and while today I know NSYNC was at least somewhat popular before this song dropped, I would still agree this is the best boy band song of all time.
I’d love to hear all the haters who somehow think The Wanted, Jonas Brothers, NKOTB, 98 Degrees, All-4-One, Hanson, Boyz II Men, LFO, and/or every/any other men’s vocal vocal group somehow outshine these three. Hit me up in the comments below or on Twitter @AndrewMackens.